Aaron and I attended our third law dinner last night and at the end of the night, we agreed that this year was probably the best one we've attended to date. As I was getting ready, I told Aaron that I never thought I'd be going to the dinner this year as a staff member (praise God!). It was fun to see people and mix work with play..not to mention how great it always is to see everyone dressed up and looking fancy.
The rain decided to come out as we were leaving the house and making our way to the ever famous Beverly Hills Hilton. Luckily, it didn't slow us down very much and once we parked, we were hardly outside in it. Part of what made the dinner so great was the speaker, Lord Nicholas Phillips. Lord Phillips is the President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. Essentially, that means that he is the UK equivalent of Chief Justice John Roberts (who spoke at our law dinner 2 years ago). Obviously, with the accent, he already had our attention, but he really was a sweet and charming man. Apparently, he has been tearing things up while he's been in Malibu. He arrived on Thursday and swam every day for 20 minutes or so in the Ocean with no wetsuit every morning. He also asked to go on "vigorous" hikes and ran circles around some of our staff members on a 3 hour hike. He visited the Getty and the Getty Villa during his short stay and asked to go back today before he got on a plane to head back to London. All in all, he was a wonderful guest and he contributed greatly to the evening's theme of Pepperdine Law's global impact. We were also excited to see our friend, Lee, win the 37th Annual Vincent S. Dalsimer Moot Court competition. Lee actually asked Aaron to be his partner but because Aaron has the VIS Moot to prepare for, he could not participate. Oh well, seems like Lee was just fine on his own with his partner, Amy.
Another highlight of the night was the soup! According to the menu, it was a Mulligatawny soup. I found this recipe online and perhaps I'll need to give it a try sometime.
The true highlight of my night, however, was the beautiful, borrowed gown I was lucky enough to wear. Aaron's cousin Callie recently went to a ball and wore a gorgeous dress. While we were in Odessa, Callie's mom (Aaron's aunt Tana) showed the dress to me and told me that I could borrow it if I wanted. I thought she was just being the super nice person she is and so I said thanks and left it at that. As we were on the flight home, I asked Aaron if he thought that the dress might actually fit me. I had law dinner in the back of my head and I didn't have anything to wear yet. I was skeptical that it would fit but Callie and Tana were sweet enough to send it and, when it arrived, I couldn't believe that it fit like a glove! It was such an honor to wear such a pretty gown and Callie's dress definitely got numerous compliments. Sporting a sassy red lip is kind of fun too!
For a funny commentary on the picture above, see Aaron's blog...that's all I'm going to say.
Last but not least, this is one of my favorite pictures from the night. All of these wonderful people are my colleagues and, more importantly, my friends. Work is not work with them, and it would not be the same without them!
I hope that everyone has had a wonderful weekend. We are enjoying a lazy Sunday after a very busy week. We had the absolute pleasure of seeing our friends, John and Ari this afternoon for lunch at Ruby's Diner on the Malibu pier. I'm so glad that we had our cameras to capture the beautiful day.
Have a great week!
"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."
John 3:18
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Law Dinner, Round 3.

Posted by
Courtney
at
5:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
You all look great, Courtney! LOVE the red lipstick with that dress.
Also, I'd love to know where you got the brown bag you're carrying in the picture on the pier...I'm on the lookout for a similar style bag and haven't found one that suits me anywhere!
Post a Comment