Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kiss 'em Good-bye


In just a little under an hour, I'll be unloading my trunk of mason jars. It's especially notable because these are the jars that we used in our wedding reception, not even a month ago. When planning the look of our reception, I toyed around with a few different centerpiece ideas, but in the end, my love of a few simple hydrangea stems in a humble mason jar with a bit of ribbon won out. We found a seller on ebay and so the jars arrived almost effortlessly, leaving barely a trace of a dent on my pocketbook.

When they arrived, Aaron and I talked about what we could do with 3 cases of mason jars (and 3 more cases of smaller jars that we used as pen holders at the reception). He wanted to keep some for drinking "tea" (sweet iced tea to us non-Southerners) and I dreamed of using them as a base for numerous homemade Christmas presents. But in the end, living in a 1 bedroom apartment now and moving into a 1 bedroom apartment in a few months, surrounded by so many generous wedding gifts, we decided that it was time to post the mason jars on Craigslist.

Even as I wrote the post, I thought, "maybe no one will want them". I thought serious canners would want sealed jars for health and safety reasons and crafters would need maybe 1 case, tops for various projects. In addition, our post didn't even have any pictures of the jars we were selling. I went ahead with the post and, lo and behold, within a few hours, I had a seller.

So, that brings us to the present. After a bunch of e-mail correspondence and planning, this is the end of the road for us and our jars. I am taking it much better than I thought I would...something about a lack of space and not wanting to be a packrat this early into our marriage encourages me to let these babies go today. I also promised Aaron some drinking jars in the future so perhaps that will happen sooner rather than later now. I'll admit that I already kind of have my heart set on some of these...


Happy Wednesday!

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:18

0 comments: