Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A bad blogger...with lots of good news!

Despite the title of this blog post, there is no excuse for what a bad blogger I've been. I can't believe it's been over a week since I last posted...especially when there is so much good stuff going on with us!

Well, last week was a great--but busy--week. This week, so far, has not been much better, but that's okay. We sure are having fun being busy.

The best news that we have to report is that our dear, dear friend Jerren Wright was baptized on Saturday. I guess the correct term for what happened is "re-baptized" because J was baptized for the first time when he was 7, but after a really intensely awesome and personal encounter with God this past summer, Jerren told us about a month ago that he was going to be baptized and that God was calling him to invite everyone, his entire community. He further invoked our tears when he asked Aaron to be a part of the baptism along with Dean Gash. Well, you know me, I couldn't stay out of it and didn't want to miss out on an opportunity for a party, so I went ahead and, without knowing how many people we were talking, volunteered us to host a reception after the big event. Fortunately, we were able to use the common area room at our apartment complex so people didn't have to squeeze into our apartment:) The afternoon was an absolute joy to be a part of...Jerren's ocean baptism was beautiful and encouraging and I know that Aaron and I felt so blessed to witness it. The reception went pretty well afterwards too! I was so happy that people ate and ate and ate and enjoyed themselves. I put together this collage of the afternoon's events, enjoy!

So...the big teaser last post about the job news...well, I've waited to blog so darn long that most of you have probably heard by now! Aaron and I are happy to announce that in 2 days (October 1st), I will be the new Director of Alumni Affairs at the Law School. We could not be any more excited and grateful for this awesome opportunity. I will be back "home", working with amazing people and in a place that is truly committed to its students and alumni...all for God's glory. I am thankful for the shortened commute--across the street rather than down the hill:), the stimulating and rewarding work and the challenges it will inevitably bring, the increase in pay, interacting daily with the awesome individuals at the law school (most of which I am privileged to call friends), my big, fancy office(!)...but mostly, we are humbled by Dean Gash thinking of me and contacting me when this job became available and God's desire for me to be in this position. For those of you that we asked to pray about this job, THANK YOU!

Other than those 2 big things right now, everything is great with us. We are enjoying football season, LOVING the cooler weather in our little apartment, co-hosting a Ladies Bible study small group on Mondays (Aaron is sweet to leave the house...sweet or smart?), getting WAY excited for Jeff and Katie's wedding in Fort Worth in 2 weeks, getting EVEN MORE excited about GERMANY in 3 weeks, finishing up a season of Friday night softball with the Sweaty Nappers in Santa Monica, serving as an advisor for the Delta Gammas at Pepperdine, starting a season of IM football this Saturday, cheering on the contestants on The Biggest Loser...trying to blog, trying to study, trying to eat 3 good meals a day, trying to exercise...you know, trying to stay busy:)

Hope everyone is having a blessed day and week so far, too!

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12

2 comments:

Josh and LB said...

Aaron and Courtney,

First, before I say everything else I want to say, I want to thank you so much for the sweet, sweet card that you sent. It was a really crazy, crazy time as my grandmother passed and then 36 hours later, Josh's grandmother passed too. They were both so very special to us so the note was so thoughtful and well appreciated. Ya'll are precious.

Also, congratulations on your friend Jerron and his baptism...that's awesome and really incredible that all of those people went out to witness. I know there must have been some kind of party up in heaven!

Last but not least, congratulations (Courtney) on your new job as the Director of Alumni Affairs. I didn't know you were praying for that job, which makes the news even more exciting. God is so good!

One day Josh and I are gonna make out to Cali...I have ALWAYS wanted to go and I have a couple of old youth members that are now going to Pepperdine.

Ya'll take care and I am excited about all of the many things that are taking place in your lives...and have fun in GERMANY!!!!!

Jamie Elwell said...

Love your blog!--and welcome to the world of student services..it's the greatest job out there. I work in residence life, and love it. =)