Sunday, February 14, 2010

Surprise Saturday #2

Since Aaron planned an amazing Surprise Saturday #1, this one was all mine--and the pressure was on! Luckily, I heard about a site called Groupon and, on the day I joined, something Aaron has been wanting to do was the special: whale watching in Newport Beach. I had to tell him about the surprise so that we could call and schedule our appointment but we decided that Valentine's Day weekend would be the perfect time to redeem our certificate. We headed to Orange County early on Saturday morning for our 9am tour. After parking in the beach lot, we got our binoculars and stood in line to board our boat.

Finally, we pulled away from the dock and into Newport Harbor, setting out on our whale watching adventure.





As we made our way out to the ocean to maximize our chances of seeing whales, we came across a pod of dolphins. It was amazing just how close they got to the boat. They played alongside us for what seemed like a really long time.



Aaron took all these great pictures but I tried to hold my own with this video. The voice on the video is the captain of the tour boat.

We were happy campers after the "sighting" even though the dolphins were not the whales we were looking for!


We had heard that there were some Fin Whales up ahead so we charged onward. Sure enough, we found a 50 footer that let us get a few good peeks! The best way to locate a whale is looking for it's spout:

Aaron managed to get a lot of good pictures but this is my favorite series.

















Before our trip ended, we asked some people on the boat to get a picture of us. This was our Valentine's Day Surprise Saturday afterall!



Once we docked, we headed to a nearby Pei Wei. I have never eaten at one so I was dying to try it. The verdict = delicious!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend. We have had a great time celebrating our first one as husband and wife:)

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

0 comments: