On Saturday, we decided to spend the afternoon in Ventura County. It wouldn't be a trip north if we didn't go all the way to Oxnard for our favorite, Chick-Fil-A so we stopped there for lunch. As for what we did next, I have always wanted to go fruit picking and Aaron was sweet enough to indulge me. I found a family-owned and family-run farm, Underwood Family Farm, in Moorpark which is only about 35-40 minutes northeast of us. I called earlier in the week to see what was in season and I was told that there were a few strawberries and lots of vegetables and citrus fruits. I didn't really know what we were in for but we figured that it was a nice day so we might as well give it a shot.
As we pulled up to the farm, I got really excited!
For only $5 a person, we were able to walk around and check out the animals before we started picking fruit. There were lots of cute little families picnicking and the farm also hosts birthday parties. Aaron likes to say that I was equally excited to see the farm animals as I was to pick fruit. Ok, maybe just a little bit, haha...
When we were done checking out the animals, we waited for the tractor to come pick us up so we could head out to the strawberry fields in the far part of the farm.
Then, the fun began. It was so funny to me that they just let you loose to pick whatever you want. The strawberries were $1.99/lb and we grabbed some clear containers to carry our loot. And loot it was! There were plenty of unripe strawberries but there were lots of dark red, beauties as well. I was pretty excited about my "first pick":
(what is with my hairnet hair?)
Aaron was equally excited (obviously not!)
There was a lot to pick and I loved how easy it was. I really think I could sit in the patch all day and just eat strawberries off the plants.
We ended up with about 4 pounds of goodness.
On our way back to checkout, we picked some navel oranges off the trees. The oranges were only 59 cents/lb and I sure love a good orange. We paid for our fruit and walked through the fruit and vegetable stand (for those who don't wish to pick!)
It was just a great day on the farm!
After a trip to Costco and an easy dinner at home with Jerren, we headed out to an uncharacteristically late night event. My brother was having a party/show at his store in West LA. Even though we were going to lose a precious hour of sleep and even though we had to get up to teach a 9am Bible class on Sunday, we love Bran and we wanted to be there for him. It was cool to see the store transformed and even though we weren't there very long, we got to see Bran and some of our other favorites at the store. Here's a few pics of the event..Bran is in red.
Hope y'all had a great weekend!
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13
Monday, March 15, 2010
Farm Day

Posted by
Courtney
at
5:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment