Hello, friends! This past week, I took a quick trip to DC for work. Every year, we have a swearing-in ceremony for our alumni who wish to be sworn into the United States Supreme Court. This year, we had 7 alumni who joined us for the exciting occasion and it was an awesome experience! I flew out on Monday morning with my co-worker Morgan. We flew Virgin America so you know that I caught up on Bravo TV for almost the entire flight...we don't have Bravo at home so I was Top Chef-ing and Real Housewives of Atlanta-ing myself out while I could! We arrived in DC at about 7:30pm DC time and went straight to our hotel. I had nothing to do with the accomodations so I definitely cannot take credit for our beautiful hotel, The Mayflower. We found out later that locals know the Mayflower as the "Elliot Spitzer hotel" because of Spitzer's frequent visits to the hotel...enough said. Anyway, on Tuesday morning, we were up bright and early to head to the Supreme Court. I was really excited because I have never been to the building.
Because we had a special appointment at the court, we didn't have to stand in line to get in. Instead, we went in a side door and waited for our group to arrive. Once everyone got there, we were escorted to the East Conference Room where a lovely breakfast buffet was set up for our group. We had been told that one of our professors had talked to Justice Alito about our visit and so during breakfast, Justice Alito stopped in to say hello. Much to our delight, he talked about how much he loves Pepperdine, posed for multiple pictures, and talked about the cases that the court was going to hear that morning. Next thing we knew, it was time to go to the ceremony and court was being called into session. It was a pretty great morning!
Here's Morgan and I on the steps outside of the court. It was a bit windy but we were relieved that it did not rain.
After leaving the court, we grabbed a cab back to the hotel. We were on a search for a good place to eat and we ended up at an Italian place called Bertucci's. It was excellent! We had a few hours to kill so we walked around the hotel and shopped a bit before getting ready for our alumni event that was held at a firm that just happened to be across the street from where we were staying. Perfect! The event was great and it is always nice to see old friends and classmates that live far from Malibu. Sadly, we took off the next morning nice and early to head backto California but at least we got to get away for the event. I managed to take a few pictures of the hotel lobby before we caught a car to the airport.
Gorgeous right?
Other than traveling, things have been busy around here. Aaron finishes his first 7 weeks of his last semester of B-school this week so he's extra busy trying to get projects taking care of and presentations ready. I'm up to the same stuff--Bible studies, spin class, 1/2 marathon training...all fun stuff. Last week I attended a bridal shower for one of my co-workers and I got to help wrap her present tower...you can see it behind her in this picture.
At the shower, I was in charge of her rehearsal bouquet...
Oh how I love fun celebrations:)
Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom." Isaiah 40:28
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Quick DC Trip

Posted by
Courtney
at
2:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I haven't been to D.C. in years and you made me want to go back! :)
Post a Comment