Monday, February 2, 2009

A little bit of catch up

Hello blog world!
I don't think that a day went by this past week where I didn't think about blogging...but...I kept saying, "tomorrow, tomorrow!" I sometimes feel like I have to have something exciting enough to report or good pictures to post or stories to tell and that's what sometimes fuels my procrastination. The result of that is a pretty random little catch up post like this one will be!

I wanted to blog last Monday about our first premarital counseling session with our preacher, Ken Durham. We met with him on Sunday morning after church and had a great time. We talked about the book of Genesis and when/how God created man and woman. I felt myself well up a few times just thinking about how much God loves His children and how He didn't intend for any man or woman to be alone...God is truly quite the romantic and marriage fan! At the end of our session, Ken told us that we would be taking a temperament test about ourselves and each other. Basically, we have 180 or so questions that we have to answer yes, no, or "mid" about ourselves and each other. Then, Ken will score the tests and we'll use them to spark some discussions. For example, question 1 is "Is...a forgiving person?" Isn't that fun? It should be really interesting and helpful. We met with Ken again yesterday and this time, we talked about conflict resolution and fighting fair. Again, it was really good to talk about things and be reminded of how to fight fair. As much as I really really hate (and I try not to hate anything) every time Aaron and I fight, (1) we're both trained LAWYERS so it's probably inevitable, haha, but more seriously (2) I'm so thankful that Aaron and I have had fights that we have learned from. Talking to Ken about how we fight made me really proud of us for the way our fighting style has truly evolved from the first one. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but I am thankful for Aaron's heart and his willingness and enthusiasm to make us better lovers and fighters.

In wedding planning news, I have embarked on my new task of learning how to do calligraphy. One of my aunts gave me a little calligraphy set years ago and I had a lot of fun teaching myself how to do it just for fun. With invitations to address very soon, I would LOVE to know that I addresses each invitation to every special person that will be a part of our day. I've gone back and forth with it because I know that it is a daunting task and that there are professionals who do this for a living. BUT, with professional status comes professional price$$$ and I really think that I can do it. As God would have it, I found a set at Borders on clearance (is calligraphy going out of style or something?) and so I started playing around on Friday. This is not a very good picture by any means but I want to post this picture so that I can appreciate how much I'll improve:


Another fun bit of wedding news is that I found this wonderful little "bride" hoodie at Victoria's Secret last week. I had my eye on it but it was way too expensive. Thanks to the semi-annual sale, I got it for more than 50% off. As my mom would say, meant to be...


I love all its little details: the bows on the sleeves, the ruffle hood, and you can't see this, but the zipper pull is a diamond solitare engagement ring. Too cute!

On Saturday, Aaron's flag football team played in the semi finals. I loved going to the game and sitting at beautiful Alumni Park in about 75 degree weather! As I was walking to the field, I snapped a picture for our wedding photographer. One of our engagement pictures was taken under these beautiful trees. It was foggy the day that we shot, and so I took this to show him what it looks like on a cloudless, blue sky Malibu day.


Here are some shots from the game. Next week, when they play in the FINALS (woo!),I'll bring my real camera and take some better pictures. Some of the boys have played together for 3 years...time sure flies!



I hope that everyone had a great time watching the Super Bowl yesterday. Aaron and the other graduate RAs hosted a party for their residents and so I made a football cake on Saturday afternoon. It was a box cake (Funfetti because Aaron loves it) but I went a little fancy on the icing! I made Texas sheet cake icing which is awesome because it tastes good, dries hard super fast, and did I mention that it tastes good?! Aaron got to my apartment just in time to do the white laces...he's much better at that than I am:) We were really happy with how it turned out!


This week will be more of the same...job hunting, wedding planning, and visiting with some friends. I hope that there will be more job activity though, of course. Please continue to pray for our whole country and all the people, not just me, who are unemployed and looking for a job. It is frustrating but I know that I am so blessed because I've been looking for a month and there are people who have been looking for months AND have mouths to feed and mortgages to pay. It is definitely a tough time but God is good, faithful, and always working!

Have a blessed week!

"As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor--this is the gift of God." Ecclesiastes 5:19

0 comments: