Monday, April 6, 2009

Remember me?

I'm sure you are picking your jaw up off the floor right now because it's really me here writing, after, what, almost 2 months of absence? Aaron and I were in the car a lot this weekend (more on this in a bit) both lamenting about how we haven't blogged (respectively, we don't share blogs, these thoughts are all uniquely mine and I won't let him have credit for them, ha!)in forever. So, it put a little fire under me and here I am.

As you can imagine, a lot has happened since February. I just skimmed that that "25 things" post and laughed because that seems like ages and wedding stresses, work stresses, life stresses ago. There's absolutely no way to sum up all the recent HAPA-nings (sorry, I couldn't resist)but here's a brief list of the many blessings that God has poured out since I've been "gone":

1. I got a job! I have been working at a firm in Santa Monica. The view is fantastic but unfortunately, it's been a rough almost 2 months. I have learned a lot about myself through this brief time of struggle and trial, and I am extremely grateful for all of my loved ones for their support, advice, and well wishes during this challenging time for me. I have grown a lot but I ultimately decided that I will not be returning after the wedding and honeymoon. It is a little scary to not have something else lined up but part of this growth and learning period for me has been the importance of priorities in your life and I feel that God is with me and this decision and He will provide as He always does.

2. I have been showered. Twice. And this weekend will make thrice (is that a word/correct usage of the possible-word?) I will be forever puzzled by the "wedding shower"...where's the catch?? Aaron and I cannot believe the generosity and thoughtfulness of our friends and families. The shower in Odessa, Texas was unbelievable. I had 14 hostesses and probably over 100 guests. I didn't get out of the chair for about 2 hours straight because I was opening gifts. It was something else, let me tell you! I was so touched by everyone's warmth and generosity and you just can't be Southern hospitality. What was so awesome was that it was such a testament to my future in-laws and the way that they have raised Aaron and his brother and the way that they continue to be true servants to their friends and families. My sweet Aunt and cousin hosted my San Francisco shower about a month later. It was a beautiful champagne brunch and it was such a special day with so many wonderful ladies that I have known forever. My favorite part was when each guest went around the room and said how long they had known me and wished Aaron and I the best in our marriage. (yes, of course I cried!) It was a wonderful day and it was extra special to have my mom, Grammie, Annie, cousin Kristi, maid of honor Kate, and Aaron's mom all in one place. This weekend 4 of my bestest girlfriends are throwing a lingerie shower for me. I am so excited to see everyone, especially Kate coming in from up north, Sarah Kay coming in from DC, and Jess coming back from her family vacation one day early to make it to the shower. I pinch myself hourly at this wonderful life!

3. My apartment has been invaded by boxes. I guess the showers were just a preview of the generosity that has followed. I come home to boxes almost every day between stuff for the wedding and gifts. Fortunately, I live in a safe place where it's totally fine for boxes to sit outside all day AND my neighbor works from home and is always so sweet to sign for things that require a signature upon delivery. The boxes are piling up though, so I hope we can carve out a little space for Aaron after we get back from our honeymoon (just kidding, A).

4. I survived the addressing of our invitations. I had a really great time doing the calligraphy and I am seriously considering studying more of it and improving my skills. It was a cool experience though and I am so happy knowing that I wrote all of our invitations for our special guests.

5. Time keeps flying (um, can you say 19 days according to the wedding ticker above!?) but God continues to bless our wedding planning. With all the big stuff out of the way, for the most part, I'm really relishing in the details and making our wedding "ours".

6. We completed our pre-marital wedding counseling with Ken last weekend and I'm really sad to see it end. It was honestly so much more special than I even thought it would be. I will cherish the memories of sitting in Ken's office side by side with Aaron and Aaron holding my hand as Ken prayed over us week after week.

7. This weekend, we celebrated my Grammie's 90th birthday. Her birthday is not until May but with all the wedding stuff going on, she was my typical thoughtful Grammie who agreed to celebrate early so as not to conflict with anything else. Aaron and I rented a car (hence the long drive and motivation to post right now) on Friday night and drove up the city for the weekend. It was a lot of fun to see family and spend time with my brother and T, who drove up as well. My favorite part of the night was listening to my Grammie recall special dates in her life...not just years but actual months and days. She is an amazing woman and I can't believe that I'm lucky enough for her to be my Grandmother.

8. I turned 27! Yesterday was my birthday and although it was a somewhat unconventional birthday, I felt special from midnight (my brother and T surprised me with cake and a balloon at about 12:05) to...now as the belated wishes continue to roll in. All the calls, e-mails, cards, and gifts are so meaningful and cherished, thank you!

A lot more than that has surely happened (Aaron is coaching t-ball and loving it; my mom got a brand new red smart car from my dad; as I have been typing Aaron just found out that he has a summer job with a firm where my old law school roommate is an associate), but at least I'm back in the blogworld for now:)

I hope to get in some time to blog as the Miss days draw closer to Mrs. days. Hope everyone is great and enjoying this beautiful Spring weather, pretty much throughout the country!

0 comments: