We love summer!
This week really flew by! Since the entertainment center/TV stand acquisition on Tuesday, we have been keeping busy...
Wednesday: We went to spinning and were the only 2 students in class so we got quite the workout. We somehow managed to hobble home that night!
Thursday: We had the opportunity to feed the homeless through our church Thursday evening at a program called Standing On Stone (SOS). We made a tuna casserole after work and brought it down the hill to Webster Elementary School where there is a short devotional/praise time and a meal served to those less fortunate in the area. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay long because we had to run into Santa Monica to get our new phones activated! After a long week of figuring out how to get off our parents' plans to have our own account, we ended up with 2 new blackberries, 2 new 310 area code phone numbers, and 1 new contract. Although sending a text message to everyone in our phones notifying them of the change is not fun, we were pleasantly surprised to get all that complicated phone account stuff squared away. Here's the casserole and in the far right corner is a new plant that I got from work!
Friday: After work, Aaron and I drove into Santa Monica to meet ET for dinner before softball. It was great to catch up with her and I'm happy to report that Aaron's softball team, The Sweaty Nappers, WON last night...like, run ruled the other team (I had to ask him what that was called). The boys played a great game and won by 15, awesome! It was a late night after we went out with the team and fans to celebrate the big "W".
Saturday: This morning, we drove inland to Oak Park to meet my co-worker friend, Nicole and her husband, Jeremy for breakfast. After a great meal together, we walked through their local farmer's market. 
Of course, I wanted to buy everything because it all looked so fresh and pretty!
We had a great time sampling all the goodies. We came home with the most delicious yellow nectarines, pluots, corn, and these beauties:
After our fun double date, we got Aaron's tires rotated and then stopped at home to switch cars and drop off our farmer's market goodies. We headed to Santa Monica to check out a TOMS shoes sample sale. TOMS is an amazing shoe company that operates on the slogan "one for one"--For every pair of shoes you buy, TOMS gives a pair of shoes to a child. You may have seen the At&T commercial of the chief shoe giver giving shoes to all these darling little kids. Aaron received an email about the sale because we bought a pair for his brother, Ryne for his birthday last year. Neither of us have a pair but we've always been interested in them so we thought this could be our chance. What we hadn't even dreamed about was how many other people thought this could be THEIR chance too!
Check out these lines...
they look worse than they were. We were probably in line for an hour and a half. It was so sunny and beautiful out and we had nowhere else to be, so we stuck it out and enjoyed the company in line and the various bands that were playing at the sale.
This was what we could see about halfway into the line--people buying up our sizes!
At the front of the line, ready to head into "the pit"--where we still had a little line to stand in:
The view from the coveted "inside"!
We had heard that they were out of size 8s and 8.5s (I wear an 8) but I still wanted to see what it was like and we were confident Aaron would find something in his size (he wears an 11.5 if you are ever interested in buying us shoes, haha, just kidding!) The entire sale was super organized and it was so cool to see young people spending money for a worth cause. We were particularly moved by this sign (Sorry I cut off the corner)
Well, friends, the patient are rewarded! Turns out, I fit a 7.5 in TOMS! I was able to eek out one single pair of Republican TOMS (love them!) for $20 and Aaron found a great khaki pair for $15! Check it out!
*we also found another pair for Ryne (plain white canvas)
Whew, what an eventful couple of days, come to think of it! We're planning on enjoying a lazy Saturday night together and we're loving every second of it so far:) We're thinking tomorrow might be a beach afternoon!
Hope everyone is having a great, relaxing weekend!
"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
John 14:21
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Week Wrap-Up

Posted by
Courtney
at
6:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I just read a book called "Same Kind of Different As Me" which you might have read because Aaron said it was one of his faves...it is about an unlikely friendship between a homeless man a wealthy Texan couple. I am so encouraged and have been praying that God would open a door for some kind of ministry that I can be involved in whether that be feeding the homeless or visiting soldiers at Walter Reed --which has been on my heart a lot. I love how you guys made the tuna casserole and served the homeless. Thanks for sharing that on your blog! Also, love the shoes you got from TOM!
Post a Comment