A week ago yesterday, our sweet friends John and Ari got married. The wedding was in Calabasas at the Saddle Peak Lodge and even though I had to go without Aaron (he was on his way back from Yosemite), it was a lovely wedding and a great time to catch up with some old friends. The site was just gorgeous:
John waiting for his bride
Perfect little flower girls
Mr. and Mrs. John Gehart!
Me with the bride and groom our our friend Jay
Speaking of weddings, we just got a photo from Brad and Janelle's wedding back in May and it might be one of my new favorites. I bought my dress without even remembering that Aaron had a tie to match.
On Friday, probably one of the coolest things I've experienced at work happened. A little back story: last Monday, the husband of an alumna called me and said that his wife was retiring this Friday after serving 20 years in the United States Air Force. He asked if Pepperdine did anything to celebrate this occasion and I told him that, unfortunately, we don't. I sent a small gift and I was able to get the dean to write a hand written note to include in the package but he then told me that it is customary to have a flag flown over a special place for this kind of occasion and he asked if Pepperdine would do something like that. I wasn't sure so after a few phone calls to the President's office, a flag was flown at Heroes Garden on campus in honor of our alumna! I managed to get a few pictures before the day was over to send to the alumna.
This morning, I went to public safety to pick up the flag and I put it in the mail for the alumna's husband. It was so cool to play a part in such a special occasion.
On Saturday, we went to a very special birthday party. Months back, we were asked to take part in Ben Le's 13th birthday celebration. We have been blessed to meet the Le Family at church and they are just the sweetest family. They have 4 boys and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Le house is ALWAYS full of visitors. I don't know that they are ever alone in their house! Anyway, Aaron and I had both Zach and Ben when we taught the youth group and Hung and Corinne (their parents) told us to keep the date open for Ben's party. A few years back, Corinne read a book about raising modern day knights. This translated into a special knighting ceremony, where, pursuant to Ephesians 6:10-18, Hung and Corinne asked various people to "dress" Ben. Aaron and I had the belt of truth and so we read scriptures when it was our turn. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever experienced! People that prayed over Ben before he was even born were there to pray over him and encourage him, it was so awesome. Also, the littlest Le boy SANG a song that he HAD WRITTEN for his brother. So precious, of course I was crying like a baby. After the dressing ceremony, we enjoyed a delicious meal with friends. Here we are with Ben, the birthday boy:
On Sunday after church, we headed out to Alumni park for a welcome back BBQ with the Christian Legal Society. It was perfect weather for it and it was actually our second trip to Alumni Park in one weekend because we went to another BBQ out there on Friday night. Gotta love all the back to school/orientation activities.
Me and my good friend/co-leader of our women's Bible study, Jessie
After the BBQ, Aaron and I went with our new friends Kyle and Kevin to the Malibu Farmer's Market. Kyle is a first year law student from ACU and Kevin is a new RD/doctoral student who actually took Aaron's RD position at ACU after Aaron left to come to Pepperdine. Small world and we're happy to know them both!
And now it's the first day of school for the law school! It feels good for things to be back to normal around here...work is busier but way more exciting with students in the hallways:) Aaron will start his last semester of his MBA program on Monday so he still has one more week of a little bit of training and hopefully, a little bit of summer break!
Happy Monday, y'all!
"When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Monday, August 23, 2010
Weddings, Birthdays, and BBQs

Posted by
Courtney
at
10:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment